Hello From the Poconos!

This is where you need to make a post telling who you are and what your 501st Legion ID number is (if you have one). You are not required to be a Legion member to participate on this forum but you must be at least 18 years of age.
Lorelei
Name: Lorelei
TKID: 90160
Garrison: Garrison Carida

Hello From the Poconos!

Post by Lorelei »

My name is Lorelei, and I'm 501st member DZ/SL 90160 with Garrison Carida. I've started an IOC build and I'm shopping around for a fourth costume. I really would like a bucketed costume, and I do love snow trooper costumes. I'm also looking at ANH Stormtrooper, ROTJ Biker Scout, TIE Fighter Pilot, and Boba Fett. I have a lot of concerns about these costumes, the top two being my ability to wear glasses under the bucket and breathability. I also want to know what people think of RS Props. It will be a long time before my third build is done, so my fourth build is currently in the daydreaming stage and will be for some time.
Captain_Wordo
Trooper Liaison Officer
Name: Markus
TKID: 28873
Garrison: German Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Re: Hello From the Poconos!

Post by Captain_Wordo »

Hi Lorelei and welcome to the Blizzard Force detachment!

Don't forget to ask for 501st access at this place: viewforum.php?f=48 ;)

Good luck with your builds and stay frosty :D
Galaspen
Blizzard Force Deployed
Name: Spencer DeCoursey
TKID: 18107
Garrison: Alpine

WHITEOUT Deployed

Re: Hello From the Poconos!

Post by Galaspen »

Welcome Lorelei!

As to your question regarding glasses, here’s a hidden gem from Tubachris and Vanedor:
tubachris85x wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:12 pm
vanedor wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:01 pm I made all the adjustments you suggested on the costume yesterdays evening Chris. Thanks again for the help! I just didn’t have a photographer available at the moment.

My main problem remains the helmet. I removed more padding and now it certainly sits correctly. It's not very stable yet so I need to work a little bit more on it. However, it’s also very uncomfortable with my glasses and I just can’t wear contact lenses. I am very myope but I guess I may just not wear them when I am in a photobooth context. For parades and other events where I actually need to walk in a crowd, it’s more difficult.
Ahh ok. Well I used to wear glasses my whole life, up until about 2 years ago this month (got corrective surgery). My vision was pretty bad and the Army almost categorized me as being "legally blind", I was near-sighted with a really bad astigmatism. I know everyone's different but I never wore my glasses in my helmet just because of the inconvenience and I got annoyed with how it felt, but while I couldn't see well at all, I was able to manage myself through the color blobs and got used to it. I should mention I was practicing martial arts at the time and I was forced to train w/ out glasses at all, so that may have helped me get more used to going without them.

Now, alternatively, I've seen members take either an existing or older pair of glasses, cut the arms off and mount them to the inside of the helmet so it was always there and they didn't have to worry about it.

I don't know what kind of padding you're using, though the version of the Laws helmet you have is actually larger than his previous, so there's a lot of room in there to fill out. I generally use the ACH pads used in the Army kevlars, but I know that may not cut it either. For my, my strategic points of contact is the forehead, temples and back-center of my head. I can't have a pad on the dome but my head is bigger than most. Every other pad is there to add extra tightness and when you're sweating an hour into wearing the helmet, your pads will become looser than when you're casually fitting it and not sweating.