Aloha from Hawaii

This is where you need to make a post telling who you are and what your 501st Legion ID number is (if you have one). You are not required to be a Legion member to participate on this forum but you must be at least 18 years of age.
Stratt
Blizzard Force Deployed
Name: Mark
TKID: 81774
Garrison: Bloodfin Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Aloha from Hawaii

Post by Stratt »

Hi everyone,

My name is Mark and I'm new to this forum but have been a member of the Pacific Outpost since June 2016. I'm not sure that Hawaii has a TS, so I'm hoping to be the first once I've got everything together.
I started out as a black-flightsuited Imperial Crewman, built a "Samurai cheese grater" helmet and got approved for Imperial Navy Trooper. Then to get max use out of the soft goods I put together a Reserve Pilot and then a built a full ANH TIE Pilot costume. I still might do the Gunner someday but I was sidetracked by my Executioner FOTK build.

That came to a screeching halt these past few weeks, as I became highly allergic to the Milliput I was using to give the armor a seamless look. So while I'm sealing all those pieces up and storing them away waiting for my hands to recover, I thought about what my next project would be. I was almost 6 when I saw Empire Strikes Back in 1980 and always loved the look of the Snowtroopers.

So I'm hoping to save up, get the money together for this new effort. I'm starting out smalltime, the bad thing about Hawaii is all the high shipping rates. I managed to find some Dickies painters pants which I got slightly large to give a loose-fit appearance. Walmart also had the off-white Wells Lamont gloves. The white nylon/polypro belt I'll probably order online but I have yet to find a place that makes them 2.25" wide -- really easy to find 2" and since I'm on the shorter side at 5'7" it might look okay (but wanted to hear from some of you on this requirement).

Hard armor, I'm thinking of Walts Trooper Factory since RS Propmasters is 3 years of saving for me. I have Walt's TIE and Navy Trooper, but my build skills aren't the greatest even though both have been approved. So I'm really tempted to hold out and save a while for the DL set.
Anyway, thanks for any feedback - I look forward to hearing from some of you!
-Mark TI81774
Pacific Outpost
Honolulu, Hawaii
TK-81774
ASI: IC | IN | TI | TS
Captain_Wordo
Trooper Liaison Officer
Name: Markus
TKID: 28873
Garrison: German Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Re: Aloha from Hawaii

Post by Captain_Wordo »

Hi Mark and welcome to the Blizzard Force detachment!

Seems you have been quite busy ;)

The DL kit is nice and I think he also offers (pre)assambled suits. But maybe this thread is interesting to you: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=6340 It's the WIP of a WTF kit.

Stay frosty, even though it could be a bit difficult at your place :D
Stratt
Blizzard Force Deployed

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Stratt »

Hi Markus, great to make your acquaintance! Thanks for the link - a very current build, and I love the folks at WTF, the do-it-yourself kit is one to consider. One of the guys here in Hawaii just ordered a kit, though I'm not sure the maker. I'm definitely leaning toward the Dan Laws preassembled kit with all the positive reviews.
Thanks for posting your own build thread too, I find these very helpful. I'm sort of glad I chose painters pants, since I can use the belt loops with a belt rig to keep the codpiece nice, secure and in place.

There are not many places to shoot a cold-weather scene around Honolulu, though we do have an ice skating rink.
I'm sure my fellow Pacific Outpost troops will have us Snowies-in-the-making taking silly shots in a Snowie bucket, board shorts and Aloha shirt on the beach. Or enjoying a snowcone under a palm tree. Lots of potential postcard imagery here haha!
TK-81774
Captain_Wordo
Trooper Liaison Officer
Name: Markus
TKID: 28873
Garrison: German Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Captain_Wordo »

You're very welcome!

If you need help, just give us a shout ;)

And of course we wanna see the postcard shots when you finished your build :D
RebelRach
Merch / Public Relations Officer
Name: Rebel Rach
TKID: 15070
Garrison: Redback Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by RebelRach »

Aloha Mark!
Welcome to the frosty side of the Empire!
You live in a beautiful place, lucky you!
How cool to be the first snowtrooper in Hawaii, hope you do it! I want to see a snowie sipping a Mai Tai cocktail on those beautiful beaches! We have lots of troopers in very in-Hoth like conditions. I am from Australia!!

I would also highly recommend Dan Laws kits I have one and its excellent. He is based in Washington State perhaps the postage cost won't be too much, or could someone visiting the mainland perhaps bring it in checked luggage with them?

My Dan Laws build is here, have a look.
Snowtrooper Dan Laws Kit Build Thread: http://www.blizzardforce.com/forum/view ... =78&t=5491

Stratt
Blizzard Force Deployed

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Stratt »

Great stuff! There’s one other guy doing a SnowTrooper build now, he may end up as Hawaii’s first. I think he went the Walt’s Trooper Factory route but I want the Dan Laws setup.
TK-81774
Stratt
Blizzard Force Deployed

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Stratt »

Noob question, I know they're not screen accurate but if we opt to use a holster during troops does the color matter?
TK-81774
MIEO
Asia Trooper Liaison
Name: MIEO
TKID: 29014
Garrison: Japanese Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by MIEO »

Welcome to coolest detachment Markus!
I am friend of Anna and Yosuke.
Stratt
Blizzard Force Deployed

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Stratt »

MIEO wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:35 am Welcome to coolest detachment Markus!
I am friend of Anna and Yosuke.
Hello, MIEO !

Anna and Yosuke are wonderful people, we like trooping with them.
I have seen pictures of the Boba Fett Yosuke is building, and it looks great!
TK-81774
Sn0wflake
Blizzard Force Deployed
Name: Steve Hopper
TKID: 57343
Garrison: Swiss Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Sn0wflake »

Stratt wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 pm Noob question, I know they're not screen accurate but if we opt to use a holster during troops does the color matter?
The holster, as you say, isn’t canon but is popular (and very useful - I always have one. Hands free when necessary or looking armed to the teeth with E-11 in the holster and DLT-19 in my hands :D ). However it needs to be white, as per CRL. And weathered to match the rest of your costume, of course.
Greetings from Steve, the Englishman in Switzerland. :D

Stratt
Blizzard Force Deployed

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Stratt »

steveli1 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:58 pm The holster, as you say, isn’t canon but is popular (and very useful - I always have one. Hands free when necessary or looking armed to the teeth with E-11 in the holster and DLT-19 in my hands :D ). However it needs to be white, as per CRL. And weathered to match the rest of your costume, of course.
Yes, I do like the option of having a place to stow the blaster if I want to be hands-free for a while during a non-canon troop. Those are most of what I do anyway.

I was trying to find the CRL portion stating explicitly that the holster needed to be white, but I must have missed it?
Also the CRL almost makes it seem like a Snowies have the option to carry a Power5 or a DL-44.
Wow, a DLT19 is a years-away wishlist item for me, but someday...and a sling to go with it!
TK-81774
Sn0wflake
Blizzard Force Deployed
Name: Steve Hopper
TKID: 57343
Garrison: Swiss Garrison

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by Sn0wflake »

Under optional accessories on the CRL "Holster For 501st approval: Holster is the appropriate colour and style for the specific blaster. Holster is not present if no blaster is carried" thereby white as we're Snowies. Technically, as SW Battlefront is canon, we can carry any weapon but some look more fitting than others. The E-11 is the only one we carry on-screen but the DLT-19 looks badass and the DLT-20 was what the toys had in the 80's (and is on MY years-away wish list ha ha).
Greetings from Steve, the Englishman in Switzerland. :D