TS hopeful looking for advice

This is where you need to make a post telling who you are and what your 501st Legion ID number is (if you have one). You are not required to be a Legion member to participate on this forum but you must be at least 18 years of age.
MCR Monroeville
Name: MCR Monroeville
Garrison: Wisconsin Garrison

TS hopeful looking for advice

Post by MCR Monroeville »

Hello Blizzard Force members,

My name is Austin. I am 20 years old and from Wisconsin. I am a recent college graduate and I am currently working two jobs. I am a Licensed Private Investigator by day and I make video games by night. Other than that, I love music (mostly metal) and video games.

I obviously want to join the 501st, probably for the same reason everyone else does: sweet costumes, rewarding charity work, the smile on kid's faces, and making new friends. I'd love to be a Snow Trooper for many reasons, especially since I live in Wisconsin and that would make for some funny and cool winter pictures. I'm also a die hard ESB fan, partially due to the showcasing of the TS's (and the Empire wins that movie). I really love the TS costume, especially the eyes and the flow of the duster and cowl. I generally think that they look super cool and I would love to be one.

Anyways, I've been talking to a lot of guys in my local Wisconsin Garrison already and I've been on their forums. I went to one of their biggest events, met a lot of the guys and hung out. I also went to a new friend's house and tried on his TK armor. The TK's mobility and inability to look down kind of made me happy I'd rather be a Snowie.

I guess I'm just generally looking for advice on where to start. I was told to talk to Max Gabriel Flores of Max's Sci-Fi Creation Shop in L.A., which I did. He said that I can get a HIPS kit from him with all armor pieces, duster, pouches, and cowl for $685. Is that a good deal? Are there any other places I should check out? It's a little overwhelming, especially trying to figure all of this out from a non-member standpoint. If there's anything else that I'm not thinking of or that I need to know, consider, or do, please don't hesitate to tell me. I'd rather be corrected than broke. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, just so you know I already picked through a lot of the 501st website and forums that I was referred to via messaging the 501st main Facebook and the Wisconsin Garrison Facebook. I also read through all of the requirements for a TS costume, but it's quite possible I didn't fully understand or misunderstood parts. Thanks in advance!

P.S. In case it matters (I know it does with TK armor choices) I'm about 6'0, 215, a bit stocky, slight chub, and I'd like to save money wherever possible. (College isn't cheap)
garbz
Name: Aaron
TKID: 6030
Garrison: Mountain

Re: TS hopeful looking for advice

Post by garbz »

Check with MonCal. His kits are very much worth the wait!
Arctic Trooper
Snowtrooper Liaison
Name: Jason
TKID: 20421
Garrison: Carolina Garrison

Post by Arctic Trooper »

UnFortunately the costumes from anywhere are not inexpensive. Styrene or HIPS will need to be completely painted. aBS on the other hand will only need some weathering.

Both Max Gabriel and Mon Cal are nice being local, in the states.

Max will most likely be the quickest, but the HIPS is kind of a bummer.

Mon Cal will take a year to get it, yes it will be nice , but not cheap and takes a year... They will say 16-20 weeks but be prepared to wait a year, I hear these stories all the time.

Now, RS Props in England can make you a complete snow trooper for a fair price , and they can usually turn their products around in about 8 weeks max, usually sooner. Mine is RS.

Dan Laws was a armouror , but I believe that he sold his moulds or someone else is forming or him. Maybe MC I can't remember.

Have fun, and ask questions... I sure wish I would have with my first TK,. But, I did turn that hunk of junk into a Death Trooper.

Good Luck!
Davin Felth for Squad Leader.

TS/TD/TK/TI/IG/BH/DZ/IS/IN/IC/ID 20421

Blizzard Force Deployed
MEPD Deployed
Expert Infantry
Carolina Garrison Membership Liaison 2015-2018
Carolina Garrison Commanding Officer 2019
tubachris85x
Detachment Leader
Name: Christopher Williams
TKID: 2556
Garrison: Tyranus

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by tubachris85x »

It's all really up to you brother. HIPs generally has a negative "stigma" but that also is dependent on how you actually handle your costume at the same time. If you don't give a Bantha Poodoo about tossing pieces around or not storing it properly, then you're going to want to get an ABS set. HIPs ( IIRC, Gabriel said that they form it in thick polystyrene) is going to flex and bend much more easily than ABS, that's for sure, and you're definitely going to have to paint it to achieve that proper "glossy" appearance. However, you can still reenforce HIPs if durability is a concern with you. I will tell you though that their kit is still very nice and for what you're getting it's not a bad price at all, and not to mention, they'll get your kit to you in a timely manner.

As for Laws, I've spoken with him quite a bit recently and he's still got his molds/bucks. He's been re-working the sculpts to increase accuracy. He sent me a set of his new forearm pieces ( I still need to do a review for him).

But yea, fact is that there is now more options to choose from for armor now than there used to be, that's for sure.
Winning every battle since 1980
MCR Monroeville

Thank you for the replies guys. Arctic Trooper, I looked up RS Props. I found a complete TS for about $1,500, but I don't think that's what you were talking about. I saw that they also have armor kits and helmet kits, but they didn't have any pictures, information, or pricing. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? Or should I contact them? Also, tubachris85x, should I get in contact with Laws?
darthgrace
Blizzard Force Deployed
TKID: 5631
Garrison: excelsior

Post by darthgrace »

Not sure about other armorers but I am a huge of MonCal's snowie kit. The wait was unbearable (about 8 months) but totally worth it. I thought the price was very reasonable.

Nice thing is he asks for 1/2 up front and the other half when shipped. That allows you to put a deposit down now and save for the remainder while you wait if need be. Then you spend the rest of the time putting everything else together and weather it so you are ready to go when the MonCal kits arrives.

Also, the snowie kit can be done in a week or so if you organize and plan and carve out a couple of hours a day/night. This was a breeze compared to the TD build I did.

As for not being able to look down. I have a godzilla Tusken mask and an ATA TD bucket. You dont need to look down just look out the bottom of the mask. As for the snowie, way more mobility than a TK/TD, but the cowl prevents you from seeing out the bottom of your bucket.

After wearing it, I love it way more than my TD. And I like the feel of the armor better than the robes of my Tusken. I love my TS. Just need more time to troop in it.
tubachris85x
Detachment Leader
Name: Christopher Williams
TKID: 2556
Garrison: Tyranus

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by tubachris85x »

MCR Monroeville wrote:Thank you for the replies guys. Arctic Trooper, I looked up RS Props. I found a complete TS for about $1,500, but I don't think that's what you were talking about. I saw that they also have armor kits and helmet kits, but they didn't have any pictures, information, or pricing. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? Or should I contact them? Also, tubachris85x, should I get in contact with Laws?

Check out this section for vendor info: viewforum.php?f=114

A thing to note, is that most vendors will not publicly state their prices, so you're going to have to email/contact them directly. I'd say give it a shot to email Dan, let him know I recommended him, BUT note I cannot say if he will be timely, as MonCal, however, I do know another person ordered a commander kit and received it within two weeks of ordering.
Winning every battle since 1980
MCR Monroeville

tubachris85x, is there a better way to contact him, such as an email or Facebook, or even PM here on the forums? I went to the website and filled out a contact form but I got an error when I tried to submit it.
Arctic Trooper
Snowtrooper Liaison
Name: Jason
TKID: 20421
Garrison: Carolina Garrison

Post by Arctic Trooper »

Yeah, they don't convey those prices publicly, but it will be up there just over a grand complete. Nothing to do but put it on. Check out their pictures on Facebook. Honestly like Chris mentioned the styrene isn't so bad, it can be reinforced, but ABS is the real deal. I like dealing with and buying local if possible , but of course that's not always possible or feasible . I would contact the vendors and go with who you feel comfortable. Good luck.
Davin Felth for Squad Leader.

TS/TD/TK/TI/IG/BH/DZ/IS/IN/IC/ID 20421

Blizzard Force Deployed
MEPD Deployed
Expert Infantry
Carolina Garrison Membership Liaison 2015-2018
Carolina Garrison Commanding Officer 2019
garbz
Name: Aaron
TKID: 6030
Garrison: Mountain

Post by garbz »

I totally agree with buying local. MonCal is about ten minutes from my house! :D
hottoysmax
Name: Gabriel Flores
TKID: 10422
Garrison: Southern California Garrison

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by hottoysmax »

I agree with Chris if your not sure how your gonna treat your armor than ABS is awesome but the HIPS my buddy uses is thick and durable. Im free to answer any questions you might have on any vendor i will not push the ones i have simply to make a buck its not about the money at all and the only reason we started was to eliminate the wait. Cals (MonCAl) armor is awesome and honestly is worth the wait, also im waiting myself to get a RS helmet because i love the variuos build and looks of there kit.

please feel free to continually ask question thats what were here for.

Gabriel Flores
MCR Monroeville

I would get MonCal based off of several testimonials, but honestly I just don't want to wait that long. Gabriel Flores, I appreciate that. You guys definitely have the best wait time that I've seen and your prices seem to be more than fair, but I'm a little worried about HIPS over ABS. I would prefer ABS because I'm not the best at painting, it's glossier, it doesn't yellow as bad, and it's more durable. I plan on taking care of my armor, but I have a bunch of little cousins and siblings, so I can just imagine kids coming up and punching my armor just to see how tough it is, or getting assaulted by a squad of tiny humans. It's not so much that I doubt myself, but I can't trust other people not mess with my armor. I also have a very large family full of alcoholics, and I can just imagine a bunch of drunk people messing with a Trooper. I'm still kind of up in the air, I haven't really picked one yet, but I'll let you know if I do. In the mean time, if you have any preferences or suggestions, I'd be glad to have the information.
hottoysmax
Name: Gabriel Flores
TKID: 10422
Garrison: Southern California Garrison

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by hottoysmax »

If your gonna do ABS then i would do MC no other way around what he offers as far as the detail in his kit. Unfortunately like weve discussed the wait time is just something we tend to have to deal with. My addvice is to contact him ask for a quote and get the ball rolling. Jeff will be the one most likely answering your emails and hes really good and giving info and answering questions.