Hello from Orlando!

This is where you need to make a post telling who you are and what your 501st Legion ID number is (if you have one). You are not required to be a Legion member to participate on this forum but you must be at least 18 years of age.
DarthMoore

Hello from Orlando!

Post by DarthMoore »

Hello,
I’m Tom, 44 years old, and I live in East Orlando. I’m married to Wendy (MohrgaineLeFay) and we have a 4 year daughter, Angelina. We are all huge STAR WARS fans!

I have multiple hobbies. I enjoy video editing, watching sports, I’m a Redskins fan, even though I’m originally from the Philadelphia area, collecting autographs, writing, and I’m working on a few screenplays.

I was first introduced to the 501st in May 2010 at the “Out of this World” exhibit at the Orlando History Center. I was extremely impressed with the costumes and was even more impressed with their interaction with the guests. My family, friends, and I had a wonderful time at the event and it left a very memorable impression with me. I flirted with the idea of joining, but never attempted to go through the process. After attending other events (Celebration V, Celebration VI, Legoland, and the Orlando Science Center), I wanted to learn more about the legion. Our daughter, Angelina, wanted a STAR WARS birthday party this year (daddy’s little girl!) and we invited the 501st to attend. After speaking with the members that attended, they encouraged me to join.

One of the main reasons I want to join is because of the charitable part of the organization and the interaction with the guests. Not only would being part of the Legion express my love and devotion to STAR WARS, but I would have an opportunity to give back to the community. When I see that the Legion went to a local hospital to bring a bit of happiness to the young patients, that makes me really appreciate this organization from entirely different level. I would love to be part of that experience.

I'm interested in creating a Snowtrooper costume. It's always been one of my favorite troopers! I was hoping that I could create this costume before Star Wars Weekends at Disney. Is this a realistic goal? I was given the name of vendor that supplies almost the entire costume. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of vendors so I can compare prices.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations of a vendor that sells the E-11 blaster? Is it safe to purchase a pair of Canadian Mukluks on eBay?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone!
Tom
Scott M.
Senior Advisor
TKID: 4149
Garrison: Mountain

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Re: Hello from Orlando!

Post by Scott M. »

First off, Welcome to the "coolest" detachment in the Legion!!

As for your other question(s), SWW may be a little aggressive. Usually the requirements are to have two other troops in, and the costume submission process is usually done by the end of April. Most armor kits are done by fans in their spare time, so a quick turn around is usually not the case. I needed to plan for a 6 week wait for my wife's kit, and I do some the decal work for the guys who does it!!!

The boots on ebay is usually a safe bet, just be sure to plan to buy at least one if not two sizes SMALLER than your normal shoe size (unless you just want to stuff an old pair of shoes inside), then go for the same!!

Also, take a look in the armor forums and build areas. You will probably get most of your questions answered.

Thanks and be sure to post up pics of your build progress. We love to watch!!! :)
Don't Hate the Duster
Mountain Garrison CO (retired)
Blizzard Force F'ing Old Guy Advisor to the BF Command Staff
FISD ANH Elite
BF Deployed
IanL
TKID: 7197

Post by IanL »

Yeah with the current crop of vendors, pencil (lightly) in for SWW 2014. Including the long waits people are seeing, there is also a requirement for 2 other troops before you can sign up. So you'd need to get all that done quickly.
Ian Lindsay............Former Blizzard Force Detachment Leader.........Golden Gate Garrison........TS/BH/RC-7197
mig
Name: Meat Popsicle
TKID: 9100

WHITEOUT Program Honors

WHITEOUT Deployed

Post by mig »

Agree with Ian there, it took me roughly 14 months to get my Snow Commander delivered and completed. But it was well worth the wait. We have several Snowies in the FLG that can help. Are you attending Megacon in March? if so, we look forward to meeting you there.
Mig
TS - 9100
Everglades Squad
FL Garrison